Monday, May 16, 2011

Receiving Christ


They day we have been anticipating since A started the second grade had arrived on May 7th, 2011.  My little one received Jesus for the first time.  Knowing how important this day is in her life, I hoped it would be all it should be.  I was so very proud of A in her preparation for this sacrament.  At her age, I didn't have a clue as to what the Eucharist was all about and I wanted to make sure she did.  She's a smart cookie, she gets it.


I bought her dress online about a month before her big day.  Geesh, talk about procrastinating!  It all worked out.  I did not buy her veil.  Her grandmother offered her wedding veil for her to use.  I thought that was just awesome, it makes it more special.  I had to tweak the veil a little bit and use my exceptional sewing skills and creativity to come up with what you see in the picture.  =-)

There were three Masses for the whole second grade.  Ours was at 11 am.  I was a bit disappointed because of how noisy the whole Mass was.  It sounded like happy hour at a bar.  There was to be no photography during the Mass - that didn't happen at all.  I refrained, but no one else did.  Hmph!


I watched her proudly as she received Jesus.  Then I prayed as I envisioned her walk with Christ throughout her life. 

After Mass, her grandparents took us out to lunch.  Wherever A wanted to go!  Where did she choose to go?  Burger King - the one with the indoor playground and the super fast slide!  I was really hoping for something more classy, but the girl gets what she wants on her day.  I guess she wouldn't know any better since we rarely take the kids out to nice restaurants.


So what's next?  What milestone is it going to be?  She will be turning 8 at the end of the month and will be starting 3rd grade.  What else?  Sigh....

3 comments:

  1. I know what you mean - First Communion at the parish we recently moved from (but I still sing at) is like yours. All 3 of my big boys had theirs there, and I just sang for the ones this year. They are noisy and crowded and people seems to have no respect. They want to insert themselves into the moment that should be about their child and Jesus - not about mom, dad, grandpa and the camera! Take the pics before or after!
    No matter - it is still a beautiful experience. Congratulations to A and to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! What a beautiful moment for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on the veil! It looks just like my First Communion veil, which I still have in my closet with my dress! Saving it for my daughter:)
    Theresa

    ReplyDelete